If there’s no willing retired granny or unemployed aunt standing by, you’ll be checking out the local daycare facilities.
Ask the daycare manager
- What does the daily programme look like?
- Is the person looking after the children a trained caregiver?
- Who will stand in for this person if she gets ill?
- Are there other adults on the premises during the day who are not involved with the running of the day-care centre?
- How many children are catered for at the day-care centre?
- Who decides on the menus and their nutritional value?
- Does the caregiver have any first aid training?
- What will happen if there is a crisis of any sort?
- Are parents welcome to drop in any time?
- What would the caregiver do if your one-year-old drew on the wall?
- What is the policy if your baby is sick?
- Are the other children vaccinated against diseases such as polio and smallpox?
- What stimulating educational activities are there for the children?
- Are the fees payable per month or per term?
- What are the opening and closing times?
- How much will parents have to pay extra if they are late in fetching their children?
- How safe is the outdoor playing area and what sort of supervision is there when children are playing outside?
- Are any active steps taken to ensure that no bullying takes place?
- What happens when it rains?
- What sort of security is there on the perimeter of the property?
- What is the procedure if someone else needs to drop off or collect the child?
Feel free to go with your child to a few places and see where he or she feels most at home. After all, it is not you who will spend 40 hours a week there!