Finding out that you're about to become a new parent is exciting for some. For others it's terrifying and unplanned. No matter how it makes you feel, the reality is that you're about to have a tiny boy or girl that's going to rely on you for everything.
As great as it would be if babies came with handbooks or manuals, they don't. And even for a "natural" there are certain things that no one ever said would happen.
Prepare yourselves, new parents! We asked our Facebook fans to enlighten us on what every new parent should know and they shared their wisdom and experiences.
Poop, sleep and lots of noise
1. Sometimes no matter how much you love them, you want to be alone. Don't feel guilty about me-time. They need you to be a happy, well-balanced person. - Michelle
2. That the terrible two's start at 1 and a half years and goes on until they're 5. - Lorrel
3. You will not go to the toilet alone for a loooong, loooong time. - Anneline
4. You'll talk about baby poo. All the time. In fact, it will become a normal part of your daily conversation. You won't even notice how weird it is until you raise the subject around non-parents. - Beaulah
5. Maternity leave is not a resting time but a full-time job with overtime. - Nonela
6. Parenting doesn't happen the way it looks in movies. In movies everyone is smiling and laughing all the time, reality is a bit different but you can make a choice to enjoy it. - Candice
7. Parent peacefully. They are little humans who have space, feelings and point of views that should be treated with respect just like that of a grown up. That includes when being disciplined. - Amber
8. Even though you love your kids there will be times when you won't LIKE them! - Louise
9. Make sure you get some sleep during the day when the baby is asleep because those little ninjas never sleep at night. - Sbosh
10. You will not eat a hot meal again for a good few years. - Emii
11. Your baby will always pick up on your moods, especially if you are breastfeeding. So if you're feeling overwhelmed, put baby done and go outside to have a breather. - LindiBleu
12. Newborn poop goes EVERYWHERE. When changing them you should check the neck and under the arms as well... - Sharlene
13. Prepare yourself for the NOISE! My word! Like 3 little pink Starlings are the girls in our house! - Amber
6 guilty parenting secrets
The secret to our clean house
6 time-saving baby tips
Find us on Facebook and Twitter
Are you a parent? What have you learned that you were expecting? Share with us below.