Fortunately this latest video uploaded to YouTube has a fairly happy ending: the accident took place in Melbourne, Australia, according to the video’s description. A man, said to be the child’s grandfather, is momentarily distracted as the pram starts rolling towards the edge of the railway platform. It plunges, face-forward, onto the tracks, apparently causing minor injuries to the child’s nose and eye socket.
The grandfather then jumps down to retrieve the child, assisted by other commuters that also jumped down.
Despite this close call, no trains arrived at the platform during the incident, so everyone escaped unscathed.
Watch: Toddler's buggy rolls onto tracks via World Media/YouTube
Here are some pram/stroller safety tips:
• Never place heavy bags on the pram as these could cause it to tip over- wide pram is more stable than a narrow one
• Always use the brakes and check that they’re working
• Check that the pram’s tyres are not unsafe/worn
• Use safety straps and harnesses
• Park the pram away from hazards such as roadways
• Check the weight limit, label, footrest and other manufacturer’s safety instructions
• Ensure that the model pram you choose does not have levers for braking or closing the unit which could potentially trap either your fingers or your child’s fingers.
Tips via Parent24/Babycentre.com
Have you read the safety instructions on your child’s pram?