What you need:
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 sticks of celery, finely sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 6 baby marrows, wiped clean and cut into small cubes
- 125g green beans, topped and tailed then sliced
- 1 cup red lentils
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 cups stock of your choice (chicken, vegetable or beef) or water and 4 stock cubes
- 2 tins (800g) whole peeled tomatoes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Pesto to serve
What to do:
- Heat oil in large, heavy-based saucepan. Fry onions until golden brown. Add the red pepper, carrots, celery, potatoes, baby marrows and green beans in batches and fry each vegetable for a few minutes before adding the next.
- Add the red lentils and stir through then add the stock and tinned tomatoes, put a lid on, lower heat and simmer for about two hours.
- Season to taste and serve with a little pesto or grated Parmesan cheese.