How to make these pretty cookie wands
- Beat 250g butter with 250ml sifted icing sugar using an electric beater until pale and creamy.
- Gradually add 1 beaten egg and 5ml of vanilla essence to the mixture and combine well.
- The sift 2¼ cups of flour, a pinch of salt and 5ml baking powder and add this to the butter mixture.
- Mix well and press the dough into a ball.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and refridgerate until you're ready to use it. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- When you're ready to use the doughallow it to reach room temperature and then roll it out to about 8mm thick.
- Use a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut stars out and press skewers into them.
- Place these on a piece of baking paper on a baking tray and bake at 160°C for 12-15 minutes, or until light brown. This mixture makes about 24 biscuits.
- let the biscuits cool before you ice them. To do this mix 250ml sifted icing sugar with a little bit of water at a time to make a thickish paste. Add pink or lilac food colouring and spread onto the biscuits.