How to register your child's birth if you missed the 30-day deadline


In terms of the 1992 Births and Deaths Registration Act, you need to register the birth of your baby within 30 days. If, for some reason, you didn't, you can still register the child, but you need to supply more information.

Also read: How to register your newborn baby

Here are the steps you need to follow:

1. After 30 days, but before 1 year

You have to submit:

  • A completed Form BI-24
  • Written reasons why the birth was not registered in time.

?If successful, the application will then be forwarded to the DHA head office for the allocation of an identity number and for archiving.?

2. After 1 year but before 15 years

You need to submit:

  • a completed Form BI -24/1
  • Written reasons why the birth was not notified in the 30-day period
  • As many as possible documents to facilitate the confirmation of a child's identity and status.

These documents may include:

  • Certificate by the hospital or maternity home where the child was born. The certificate must be signed by the person in charge, and contain the institution's official stamp.?
  • Confirmation of the child's personal details as extracted from the school register of the first school attended by the child. The confirmation must be on the school's official letterhead, be signed by the principal, and contain the school's official stamp.?
  • The child's baptismal certificate.?
  • Affidavits by the parents, or where they are not available, by a close relative at least 10 years older than the child, and who is familiar with the child's birth details.
  • ?In the case of abandoned children, a social worker report is needed.?
  • Clinic card.
  • School reports.?
  • Any other documentary evidence that may assist in proving the child's identity and citizenry status.?

Upon application, you will be interviewed and your fingerprints will be verified against the national database.?

If successful, your application will then be forwarded to the DHA head office for the allocation of an identity number, and for archiving.

?3. After 15 years

If you're older than 15 and a South African or permanent resident, and haven't been registered for birth, you need to submit:

  • Completed forms DHA-24, DHA-24/A x 2 and DHA-288 to register the birth.
  • Written reasons why the birth was not notified as required.
  • If you are a citizen, you need to bring your valid South African ID.?
  • If you don't have a valid South African ID, you need to submit Form BI-9 to apply for an ID.

This process will change on 31 December 2015. For more information, visit the Department of Home Affairs' website or call 0800 601 190.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What are your thoughts on the possibility of having permanent Stage 2 or 3 load shedding?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
I'll take that over constant schedule changes
13% - 1440 votes
Why are we normalising Eskom’s mess?
72% - 7981 votes
I've already found alternative ways of powering my home/business
15% - 1651 votes
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
Brent Crude
Top 40
All Share
Resource 10
Industrial 25
Financial 15
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.