My late mother was registered for an RDP house. Do her children have a claim to this house?

Hillview RDP houses in Gingindlovu, near Eshowe are poorly built. (Amanda Khoza, News24).
Hillview RDP houses in Gingindlovu, near Eshowe are poorly built. (Amanda Khoza, News24).

The following question is part of Groundup's Answers to your questions series and comes from a reader with a question regarding inheriting an RDP house. 

The short answer

No, you can’t take up anyone’s place on the waiting list when they pass away

The whole question

My mother was registered for an RDP house but she passed away. Is it possible for the children to claim this house?

The long answer

Thank you for your email asking if the children can claim the RDP house your mother registered for before she passed away.

If your mother had actually received the house, she could leave it to the children, but if she was still on the waiting list to get a house, her registration would automatically fall away. You can’t take up anyone’s place on the waiting list when they pass away.

The children would need to make their own applications for RDP houses, if they qualified. Below is what you need to qualify and how to apply:

To qualify for an RDP house you must meet the National Housing Subsidy Scheme criteria. This means you must be:

A South African citizen

Over 21 and mentally competent to sign a contract

Married or living with a partner, or single and have dependants (single military veterans or aged people without dependents also qualify)

Earn less than R3,500 per month per household (so if two people in your family earn and these earnings amount to more than R3,500 per month you will not qualify)

 A first time government subsidy recipient

A first time home owner

If you are disabled you are supposed to be given preference and your house is supposed to be adapted to meet your needs.

Also read here: Not much progress with Ramaphosa’s school sanitation campaign

To apply for a government subsidy house take the following documents to a provincial office of the Department of Human Settlements, or your municipal offices:

Applicant and spouse’s identity documents (green book or ID card)

Certified copies of birth certificates of children

Proof of income if working, e.g. salary slip

You will be asked to fill in a housing subsidy application form. Depending on your province or municipality, you will then be registered on the National Housing Needs Register or your Municipal Housing Demands Database.

This is a “waiting list”. Once the project is finalised and the houses built, you will be given keys and a title deed to your home, but it can take many years.

It is illegal to sell an RDP house before you’ve lived in it for eight years. It is illegal to rent out an RDP house.

To check how far you are on the waiting list for a house call 0800 146 873 or go to your municipality’s website.

Answered on March 2, 2020, 9:08 a.m.

Published originally on GroundUp. 

Chat back:

Share your story with Parent24. Anonymous contributions are welcome.

WhatsApp: Send messages and voicenotes to 066 010 0325

Email: Share your story with us via email at chatback @

Sign up for Parent24's newsletters.

Read more:

How can I add my 6 month-old daughter born in Zimbabwe to my permit?

School deaths on the rise in Gauteng: What legal rights do parents have?

When parents divorce, what legal rights do the children have?

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
How do you feel about the impending replacement of the Eskom board?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Finally, time for Eskom's new dawn!
6% - 19 votes
It’ll be new faces, same problems
48% - 159 votes
Great - as long as they keep CEO André de Ruyter
46% - 151 votes
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
Brent Crude
Top 40
All Share
Resource 10
Industrial 25
Financial 15
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.