Countless times you've checked your diet, your exercise routine and you do the 'baby dance' as often as possible but nothing seems to work.
Now you're trying fertility treatments.
When the treatments get expensive it brings with it a whole new load of stress. And the constant advice of "keep calm and it will happen" is driving you up the wall too.
This is where hypno-fertility comes in.
We asked Dr Jacobson and Dr Woolf, fertility specialists from Vitalab Fertility Clinic, to shed some light on what hypno-fertility is.
What, in simple terms, is hypno-fertility exactly?
- Dr Woolf Solomon: The Clinical Hypno-Fertility Programme assists women in preparing to be in the best physical, mental and emotional state possible to respond optimally to an IVF cycle or any other assisted reproductive procedures. Hypnotherapy is an effective therapeutic intervention that can shed light and help resolve subconscious issues that may be preventing a successful pregnancy.
How can hypno-fertility treatment help fight the stress that comes with trying to fall pregnant?
- Dr Woolf Solomon: Stress and its relation to conception is still not completely understood; however, we do know that stress creates a fight-flight response. Releasing the stress and creating a calm, peaceful environment in your body will help balance the hormones needed to allow the fertilization and implantation of an egg. A woman may be doing everything in her power to keep her body free of toxins and limit the contact to any harmful elements, yet she still may allow damaging habits and thoughts to inhibit her ability to conceive naturally.
- Dr Merwyn Jacobson: Hypno-Fertility treatments are designed to improve mind and body well-being, improve relaxation strategies, create or reinforce stress management skills and help change lifestyle habits which may have a negative effect on fertility.
- Dr Merwyn Jacobson: Any assisted reproductive techniques (including artificial insemination) can be improved with hypno-fertility techniques.
- Dr Woolf Solomon: Releasing stress and creating a calm, peaceful environment in your body will help balance the hormones needed to allow the fertilization and implantation of an egg.
- Dr Merwyn Jacobson: There are two groups of patients who would probably benefit from hypno-fertility programmes: those who are feeling well, but anticipate the stress of a fertility programme and want to stay in control and those who are not feeling okay and want to regain contrast.
- Dr Woolf Solomon: Anyone who is sufficiently motivated and wants to learn methods to better manage the associated stresses or explore deeper subconscious dynamics that may be interfering with conception, are suitable candidates.
- Dr Woolf Solomon: The majority of patients that I see are females, however males can certainly benefit.
- Dr Woolf Solomon: It is important to establish what success is: Did the couple deal with the whole process in a more relaxed way? Did they feel more in control? Did she handle all the various clinic procedures better than without the intervention? Did she feel more optimistic with the whole process and of course, did she conceive and carry on to giving birth? Success is therefore dependent on a range of measures.
- Dr Merwyn Jacobson: There is some literature to suggest that, in well selected cases, the pregnancy rate may be significantly improved but success factors differ from patient to patient.
- Dr Woolf Solomon: Multiple sessions are always necessary – the techniques take time to learn, practice and implement.
Dr Merwyn Jacobson is a Specialist in Reproductive Medicine at Vitalab and Dr Woolf Solomon is a Clinical Psychologist and Hypno-Fertility Consultant to Vitalab.
Have you used hypno-fertility treatment? Or would you consider it? Share with us below.