Ear pain caused by the eardrum bulging inwards due to changes in air pressure, specifically in an aircraft.
- Pain in the ear.
- It may cause partial hearing loss or ringing in the ears.
- The symptoms usually disappear after a few hours.
Treat this yourself.
- Barotrauma may be prevented by bottle or breastfeeding babies during take-off and landing.
- It may also help to suck a dummy or sweet, swallow hard or chew gum.
- Teach your child to "pop" her ears by blocking her nose and closing her mouth and blowing.
- Relieve the pain with liquid paracetamol.