The ups and downs of teething
Your child’s first tooth is a cause for a celebration as it is a big milestone in their young life but it can also be the cause of sleepless nights.
What is teething?
Teething is when the teeth break through the gums and it usually occurs around the age of 6 months.1Here’s guide to when your child’s teeth may emerge:
Remember that not all children are the same but your child may experience the following symptoms: 1
- Increased drooling
- Not wanting to eat or drink due to soreness of the gums
- Fussiness that comes and goes
Some children also have symptoms of loose stools, high fevers, vomiting, facial rashes and decreased appetite. 1,2
Tips for managing teething pain:
- Give your child something to suck or chew on, e.g. teething rings, cold wet towels or chilled fruits (not frozen) 1,2
- To help with the pain, apply pressure to the teething site by massaging gums using firm finger pressure 1,2
- Alternatively, you can use medication to help with managing the pain 1
Suppositories are an effective alternative to oral treatment.3
Benefits of using suppositories:
- Exact dose, every time
- No sugar, colourants or preservatives
- Easy to use
- No loss of efficacy due to vomiting
- Alternative to oral therapy
How to insert a suppository 4
- Mayo Clinic. Infant and Toddler health. Teething: Tips for soothing sore gums. [online] 9 Jan 2020 [cited 6 July 2020] Available from: URL: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/teething/art-20046378
- Tsang AK. Teething, teething pain and teething remedies. Int Dentistry SA 2010;12(5):48-61. 2.Owais AI, Zawaideh F, Bataineh O. Challenging parents’ myths regarding their children’s teething. Int J Dent Hygiene2010;8:28-34.
- Havaldar VD, Yadav AV, Dias RJ, Mali KK, Ghorpade VS, Salunkhe NH. Rectal Suppository as an effective alternative for oral administration. Research J Pharm 2015;8(6):1-8.
- Safe Medication. Your Trusted Source of Drug Information. How to Use Rectal Suppositories Properly. [online] 2013 [cited 6 July 2020] Available from www.safemedication.com.
Further information is available on request to the holder of registration.
Litha Pharma (Pty) Ltd. Co. Reg. No. 1994/008717/07.
106 16th Rd, Midrand, 1686. www.acino.co.za. LP3138 07/2020
This post and content is sponsored, written and provided by Litha Pharma.