'The triplets are here!': Chantelle Whittles of A-Bundlely Blessed Diaries shares her birth story

"By God's grace, this journey has been so smooth and fulfilling." (Photo: Supplied by Chantelle Whittles)
"By God's grace, this journey has been so smooth and fulfilling." (Photo: Supplied by Chantelle Whittles)

It's official! We've been upgraded to a family of six. 

Our babies were born Monday, 25 November and are just over a week old. 

We knew the exact date our triplets would be born. However, only a few of our close family and friends knew about the date. I was starting to feel a bit anxious and nervous as the time got closer, so we decided to keep the date private to avoid any more overwhelming feelings.

We knew the triplets would be born prematurely at 34 weeks because of the risks involved carrying them to full term, so we had an elective c-section planned, which meant we knew the date of their arrival. 

However, a few weeks before our "due date" my gynae, Dr Siebritz, called to inform me that the neonatal unit was at full capacity.

This meant that should I go into labour earlier, I would have to deliver our triplets at another hospital.

But he assured me that the same medical team would supervise my delivery, even though it would be done at a different hospital.

He also promised to keep me up to date with any new developments, but should I not hear from him in the weeks leading up to the planned delivery date, we stick to our original plan. And thankfully everything went according to plan, phew!

The idea of having our babies at a different hospital kind of threw me off track as I had already envisioned and prepared myself mentally how everything would work out.

I mean, the hospital is literally around the corner from our house! But I decided that if this is how things are supposed to be, then just let it be.

Luckily, everything worked out perfectly, and by the time our due date arrived, most of the babies in the neonatal unit were already discharged.

Read all about Chantelle's pregnancy journey here

Back to last week…

I had to be at the hospital at 6:30 am. Nicolyn and I were up early the Monday morning loading my bags into the car and making sure Nikolai has everything he needs for his morning routine.

He didn't go to school that morning as he was on "sibling leave" (ha!)

Before we left the house, my mom prayed for us, the doctors and our unborn babies. And just a week earlier, family friends anointed me and prayed for us as a family and for a safe delivery.

All the prayers that went up made me calm that morning and gave Nicolyn and me the strength to see the process through without any doubts. 

Just after 8 am, I was wheeled into theatre. Pappa Nicolyn changed into his theatre scrubs and joined me.

Check how handsome he looked! 

Nervous dad-to-be in his theatre scrubs

Inside the theatre, it was a full house! The three incubators were ready and waiting for the babies. This was the first thing I noticed by the way.

Dr Siebritz was in the room with his assistant, my anaesthetist, three paediatricians, theatre nurses, midwives and scrub nurses.

Let's just say it was a full-on production line, but everyone worked together like a well-oiled machine. 

The babies

Cole was the first one to make his appearance. He was born at 8:53 am and weighed 2kgs. Niah then made her appearance a minute later at 8:54 am and weighed 2.2kgs.

Chayse was born at 8:55 am and weighed 1,9kgs. Immediately after each baby was born, they were taken to the incubator where the paediatricians made sure everything was fine.

One of the nurses only came over to show me how Cole looked. I didn't get a chance to see Niah or Chayse, as all three babies were taken to the neonatal unit soon after everyone was out.  

After I spent time in the recovery room, I was taken back to my hospital room, where I slowly gained movement back in my legs. Nicolyn joined me later and told me all three babies are doing fine. Because I was too weak, I didn't get to see our babies until the next day.

So, imagine my excitement! All three of them looked so beautiful and peaceful and were fast asleep. 

We couldn't hold them at first as they still had IV drips, but just a day later, I was able to hold all three for the first time. This was such a special and treasured moment. 

Mom holding triplets

I'm also grateful that everything went according to plan. To think just a few weeks earlier, my gynae called to say that the neonatal unit was full, and I was in panic mode. By God's grace, this journey has been so smooth and fulfilling.

Leaving the hospital… 

I was discharged from hospital on Thursday afternoon. But because the paediatrician still wants to monitor Cole, Chayse and Niah, they are still in hospital. I left the hospital with mixed emotions.

Normally as a new mother, you would take your baby home. There Nicolyn and I were walking through the corridors with bags and flowers, but with no baby (babies). 

That evening I did shed a few tears and was in a bit of a mood. But Nikolai made up for by being his usual funny self.

Although he still hasn't met his siblings, because he's not allowed in the NICU, he kept on asking whether there are still babies in my tummy (haha).

He also asked whether the doctor gave me a specific time for when we can go fetch the babies (LOL). And he's already decided that the babies can ONLY eat pumpkin and potato, and NO juice (haha). 

I'm just relieved that there's nothing seriously wrong with the trips. They are breathing on their own and regulating their own body temperature.

We're just waiting on them to start drinking their bottles like pro's before they'll be able to come home. 

In the meantime, Nicolyn and I visit them as often as we can in order to spend quality time with them. Luckily the hospital is just two minutes' drive from our home. 

I'm also so grateful for all the neonatal nurses who are taking such good care of our trips and all the other babies that are in their care.

They smother them with love and affection while making sure they get everything on schedule. For that, I cannot say thank you enough. 

Well, this is it for this week. We're on our way to the hospital again. 

Until next time! 

A-Bundlely Blessed and me. 

You can also follow my social media posts on Instagram @whittlestribe.

Chat back:

Share your story with us and we could publish it. Anonymous contributions are welcome.

WhatsApp: Send messages and voicenotes to 066 010 0325

Email: Share your story with us via email at chatback @ parent24.com

Read more:

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Zama zama crackdown: What are your thoughts on West Village residents taking the law into their own hands?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Authorities should bring in the army already
11% - 2612 votes
Illegal miners can't be scapegoated for all crime
51% - 12692 votes
What else did we expect without no proper policing
35% - 8555 votes
Vigilante groups are also part of the problem
3% - 850 votes
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
Brent Crude
Top 40
All Share
Resource 10
Industrial 25
Financial 15
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.