How's my foetus doing?
- Cartilage and bones are beginning to form.
- The tongue begins to develop.
- Your baby's eyes are well developed and eyelids appear.
- All organs, nerves and muscles are beginning to function.
- His hands are bent at the wrist and arms are growing longer.
- Intestines start to move out of the umbilical cord and into the baby's abdomen.
- The baby's feet begin to lose their webbed look and the toes are clearly visible.
What's with my pregnant body?
It's weird suddenly being a pregnant person when yesterday you didn't know. It can take a while to adjust mentally, so it's not a bad idea to wait a day or two before telling the whole world.
You might feel perfectly normal, which makes it even more of a mind blast that there is actually a human being in there – albeit one that looks like a slug.
Not all women experience the same symptoms at the same time and some symptoms from medical conditions can be mistaken as signs of pregnancy.
Below is a list of possible signs of pregnancy:
- Missed a period?
- Found small bloody spots in your undies? This is caused by implantation. Not all women experience this, and might not notice if they do.
- Swollen or tender breasts
- Been feeling fatigued? Also known as falling into the dark pit of exhaustion...
- Bad headaches?
- Been feeling nauseous? This is known as morning sickness but morning - pah! - it can strike any time of day and continue for the entire day.
- Been needing to urinate a lot?
- Noticed darkening of your nipples and areas around them?
- A positive home pregnancy test? Have it double-checked with a blood test at the clinic or doctor.
If you didn't fall pregnant this month
Don't despair. It's not unusual to have to try for some months, especially if you've been on the pill. There are many reasons why a couple may face infertility, but you can be reassured that most infertility issues can be corrected or addressed successfully.
If you're trying for your second baby, but nothing is happening yet, read our articles on secondary infertility:
- Difficulty conceiving a second or third time
- Why can't I fall pregnant again?
- "I overcome secondary infertility"
Go back to the complete list of Pregnancy week-by-week updates.