Proteas

Ex-Proteas player involved in alleged teen assault

Cricket (File)
Cricket (File)

Cape Town - A former Proteas cricketer has been involved in an alleged kidnapping and assault of a 14-year-old boy.

The incident is believed to have happened in Pinelands near Cape Town on Wednesday.

Western Cape police confirmed the incident via a statement.

“The case is being investigated. According to reports, a 14-year-old kid opened a case and it is being investigated,” Constable Noloyiso Rwexana, a police spokesperson, told Netwerk24.

“The suspect, a man of 35-years, was warned to appear in court on September 13.”

The sister of the boy told EWN that her brother and his friends were confronted by the former cricketer outside their school on Wednesday.

She said the boys had been shouting at passing cars, before the man "stopped and pulled her brother by the throat and clamped him against the car".

The man then allegedly drove around with the boy for several minutes, before dropping him off at his school and leaving his details with a teacher.

The cricketer, who cannot be named until he appears in court, denied he had assaulted the kid.

He said he reported the child for swearing at him and "throwing little stones" at his car.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
40% - 13890 votes
Cricket
13% - 4326 votes
Football
19% - 6437 votes
Athletics
3% - 889 votes
Boxing
1% - 333 votes
Cycling
2% - 801 votes
Golf
5% - 1736 votes
Motorsport
9% - 2937 votes
Tennis
3% - 1205 votes
Water sports
1% - 317 votes
American sports
1% - 429 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 1153 votes
Vote