Cape Town - South Africa’s Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) CEO Tubby Reddy has paved the way for disgraced athlete Oscar Pistorius to compete at the 2020 Paralympics in Tokyo, Japan.
Reddy, in an interview with UK online publication MailOnline, said he had "no problem" with the idea of the 'Blade Runner' returning to the national team and representing his country at the highest level - despite widespread condemnation of his six-year jail sentence for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day in 2013.
“He would have paid his debt to society and will be back in society, living as a normal South African citizen. There is no rule that says he would not be able to participate,” Reddy added.
Pistorius, 29, is only expected to serve half (three years) of his jail term before he can become eligible for parole, according to leading legal experts.
Such a scenario would give a then 32-year-old Pistorius a full year to train for the 2020 Paralympics.
When contacted by Sport24 on Monday, SASCOC, through their Communications Officer, confirmed they will not be making any further comment on the matter.
Pistorius is a six-time Paralympic gold medal winner and carried the SA flag at the closing ceremony at the 2012 London Olympics.
Earlier that year, Pistorius was awarded the Laureus World Sports Award for Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability.