Athletics

Athletics coach Salazar loses CAS appeal against suspension: reports

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Alberto Salazar. (Photo by Martin Rickett/PA Images via Getty Images)
Alberto Salazar. (Photo by Martin Rickett/PA Images via Getty Images)

Athletics coach Alberto Salazar's four-year suspension for a series of doping violations was Thursday upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The 63-year-old former head of the now-shuttered Nike Oregon Project, best known for coaching Britain's four-time Olympic champion Mo Farah, was suspended in 2019.

A four-year ban on physician and endocrinologist Jeffrey Brown, who worked alongside Salazar, was also upheld by the Lausanne-based body.

In a statement, CAS said Salazar and Brown had "committed a number of anti-doping rule violations (ADRVs) and has confirmed the four-year bans imposed on them".

CAS listed a number of violations committed by Salazar - possession of testosterone, complicity in Brown's administration of a prohibited method, and tampering with the doping control process.

Salazar was suspended two years ago during the world championships in Doha following an investigation by the US Anti-Doping Agency.

USADA said its probe had uncovered a treasure trove of evidence including "eye-witness proof, testimonies, contemporaneous emails, and patient records".

Salazar, who was coaching Ethiopian-born Dutch distance-running star Sifan Hassan at the time of his suspension, has steadfastly denied wrongdoing.

Farah, who parted ways with Salazar in 2017, has never failed a drugs test and there is no suggestion that the British runner was involved in any of the improprieties.

Hassan, who won 5 000m and 10 000m gold at the Tokyo Olympics, has also never tested positive for drugs.

Salazar is already serving a separate lifetime ban from coaching after an investigation by the US Centre for SafeSport found evidence of sexual and emotional misconduct.

That ban, confirmed in July, came after a group of female runners from the defunct Oregon Project said they had been subjected to emotional and verbal abuse by Salazar.

Salazar later admitted making remarks that were "callous or insensitive" but denied that any athlete under his supervision had suffered abuse or gender discrimination.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
After the opening weekend of URC action, what did you make of the South African struggles?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It exposed the quality of South African rugby...
38% - 2097 votes
There were positives to take
7% - 367 votes
We shouldn't read too much into one weekend
16% - 919 votes
It will take the SA sides time to adjust to the new competition
39% - 2188 votes
Vote