The 10th edition of the Transat Quebec-Saint Malo transatlantic race, which was set for 12 July, has been cancelled due to the new coronavirus, organisers announced Tuesday.
It had been hoped that the crewed race, which takes place every four years, could simply be postponed to August, with social distancing rules put in place for spectators.
But the Quebec government has banned all sporting events in the Canadian province until at least 31 August.
"We are obviously very disappointed, foremost for the crews, we were preparing for a record participation this year," race general manager Richard Samson told AFP.
"But public health comes first, the priority is to save lives."
The organizers are now looking at possibly rescheduling the race in 2021 or 2022.
"We're considering all the scenarios," Samson said. "From now on, everything will depend on the availability of racers and crews."
"When we get through this storm, we will all come together for a fresh start around the values of the sea," Samson said in a statement announcing the race cancellation.