Johannesburg - Despite having her visa application turned down twice, South African middleweight boxing champion Mapule “Thunder” Ngubane is still preparing for her upcoming double championship bout against Ema “The Princess” Kozin.
Ngubane is scheduled to fight the Slovenian for the Global Boxing Council and Women’s International Boxing Association world titles at Remington Park in Oklahoma in the US on Friday.
Ngubane is hoping for the best after the embassy turned down her previous applications.
She and her entourage were scheduled to leave South Africa tomorrow.
Ngubane said her preparations had been going smoothly and the only challenge she faced was getting a visa.
After two failed attempts by her manager Michael Sediane to get the documents, Ngubane’s promoter intervened.
“Things are looking good now that the promoter has stepped in,” Sediane said.
“We provided all the necessary documents, but failed the interviews twice.
“After those unsuccessful attempts, we called the promoter, who communicated with the embassy.
“We will be going for a third interview soon,” said Sediane.
According to the boxing manager, they hadn’t allowed the visa problem to affect Ngubane’s preparations.
“Mapule has been training hard for this fight instead of letting the visa issue discourage her.
“We have given her all the support she needs to bring the titles home.”
The fight will be Ngubane’s second shot at an international title following a defeat at the hands of the legendary Noni “She Bee Stingin” Tenge from Mdantsane.
The two competed for the World Boxing Foundation super middleweight title at Kagiso Memorial Hall, Mogale City, in September.
Although Ngubane only had two days to prepare for the fight, she still gave a fine performance. However, things are a bit different this time around.
Unlike her previous title fight, Ngubane had two months to train for her upcoming bout with The Princess, who is yet to be defeated.