- The Sharks said they were saddened by the cancellation of their Saturday clash with the Stormers.
- The Durban side's tightheads tested positive for Covid-19, which led SA Rugby to call the game off.
- The Sharks and Stormers were vying to pip the Bulls to the Super Rugby Unlocked title.
The Sharks said they were saddened by the cancellation of their Super Rugby Unlocked clash against the Stormers due to a Covid-19 outbreak in their forward pack.
SA Rugby revealed on Tuesday that the game, originally scheduled for Saturday evening in Durban, had been cancelled due to a number of the Sharks tighthead props testing positive for Covid-19.
"The Sharks are obviously saddened by the cancellation of the match as we looked forward to hosting the Stormers at Kings Park this Saturday," said the Sharks statement.
"We stringently follow the protocols set out by SA Rugby and the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD), and line with that protocol this decision was best for everyone concerned.
"Safety remains our number one priority and those that have tested positive in the team are isolating and will be monitored by our team doctor. The Sharks remain committed to fielding a competitive team for the start of the Currie Cup next week."
The Sharks lost three players ahead of their game against Griquas last week after one starter tested positive and two bench players who were in close contact with him were forced to self-isolate.
Head coach Sean Everitt's side's clash with the Capetonians was the third such game to be impacted by a virus outbreak.
- Compiled by Sport24 staff