London - Ireland's CJ Stander has signed a three-year contract to remain at Munster until 2021 despite a reported big-money bid to lure him to French Top 14 side Montpellier.
The offer from Montpellier was believed to have been €840 000 (R12.6m) per year.
The Munster No 8 made his Ireland debut against Wales in the opening game of the 2016 Six Nations and has earned 18 caps for the country.
South African-born Stander made his Test debut for the British and Irish Lions during their New Zealand tour earlier this year.
The 27-year-old first played for Munster against the Scarlets in November 2012 and has won 105 caps for the province, scoring 32 tries.
"Following a lot of speculation and unfounded articles in the media, I am delighted to announce that I have signed a new three-year contract with the IRFU (Irish Rugby Football Union) through to 2021," said Stander.
"My intention was always to stay with Munster and Ireland throughout this process, having settled well in Limerick with my wife and within the Munster family."
"CJ has made a huge contribution to both Munster and Irish rugby," said IRFU director of high performance David Nucifora.
"It has not been an easy or straightforward road but he has shown great determination and commitment in both red and green and continues to perform at a very high level week in and week out."
A proud Munster and Ireland rugby player – no talks with any other club. Here to stay for three more years!@CJStander has signed a three-year IRFU contract to remain at Munster until June 2021.— Munster Rugby (@Munsterrugby) December 21, 2017
Full details | https://t.co/iFPArCJlUw pic.twitter.com/yBZE1x5xnZ