Cape Town - Stuart Baxter's Bafana Bafana side are the only team at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) that has failed to even attempt a shot on target in TWO of their three group matches.
Bafana suffered a 1-0 defeat to Morocco on Monday at the Al Salam Stadium in Cairo which left the side clinging on to a last-16 qualification spot.
Baxter's side's only win to date came in their second Group D clash when they edged minnows Namibia 1-0 which was sandwiched between two 1-0 defeats to the Ivory Coast and Morocco.
According to football analytics company OptaJoe, Bafana are the only side to fail to hit the target in two of their three games played, which is a damning statistic for the side.
Bafana Bafana v Morocco statistics:
- Morocco have won five of their last six games in the Africa Cup of Nations (L1), after winning just two of their previous 14 (D5 L7)
- South Africa have lost four of their last six Africa Cup of Nations games (W1 D1), as many as in their previous 11 (W1 D6)
- Morocco have kept a clean sheet in their last four group games in the Africa Cup of Nations. The Moroccans won each of these games 1-0
- South Africa is the only team that has failed to attempt any shot on target in 2 of their 3 games in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (against Ivory Coast and Morocco)
- M'Bark Boussoufa has scored his first goal in the Africa Cup of Nations during his 9th game in the competition. He also scored his first goal with Morocco since May 2017 (against the Netherlands)