Prandelli extends Italy stay

accreditation
Cesare Prandelli (AFP)
Cesare Prandelli (AFP)

Rome - Italy coach Cesare Prandelli has signed a two-year contract extension that will expire at the end of the 2016 European Championships, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) have confirmed on Monday.

Prandelli, who took over from Marcello Lippi following Italy's shock first-round exit from the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, had been widely expected to extend his current deal with the FIGC.

A statement from the Italian federation said: "The FIGC and head coach Cesare Prandelli will be together until 2016."

After arriving late to talk to reporters following training at Coverciano, Prandelli said: "Sorry for the delay, it was precisely because we were just signing the contract.

"It's official, until the (2016) European Championships."

Prandelli took the helm of Italy for the first time in August 10, 2010 when the Azzurri were defeated 1-0 by Ivory Coast.

In total, the 56-year-old has led Italy for 51 games, winning 24, drawing 15 and losing only 12.

Italy, who won the last of their four World Cup titles in 2006, finished top of their World Cup qualifying group and in Brazil will meet England, Costa Rica and Uruguay in the competition's Group D.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
With the Springboks losing their last two matches against Australia, how concerned are you?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Very concerned! Something is not right ...
58% - 3140 votes
I'm not worried. Every team has a bad game. The Boks will bounce back.
18% - 942 votes
It's too early to tell. Let's see how they go against the All Blacks.
24% - 1292 votes
Vote