SWC stadium hit by third death

Sao Paolo stadium (AP Photo)
Sao Paolo stadium (AP Photo)

Sao Paulo - A construction worker at Sao Paulo's troubled World Cup stadium was killed after falling from a stand on Saturday, bringing the number of deaths at the venue to three.

The workman fell eight metres (26 feet) as he helped install temporary seating at the ground and was taken to hospital where his condition had been described as serious.

His employers said in a statement that he was observing all the necessary safety standards at the ground which will host the opening game of the World Cup between hosts Brazil and Croatia on June 12.

In November, two men died when a crane collapsed at the same arena.

The Sao Paulo stadium was one of six venues to miss an initial FIFA delivery deadline of December 31 and is only set to be handed over to organisers in mid-May.

A total of seven workers have now been killed during work on Brazil's World Cup venues.

Saturday's tragedy came just two days after FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke had admitted progress on the Sao Paulo stadium remained a concern with the problems compounded by arguments over who foots the bill for temporary facilities.

But Valcke added: "We will have 12 host cities; we will have 12 stadiums....but there is work to do. Time is flying."

Brazilian Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo insisted the authorities were lending their full support.

"We are helping so that the town hall, the state government and the (private) owners of Corinthians Arena find a solution," Rebelo said.

Earlier this week, Brazil's Development Bank released the first two-thirds of a $160 million loan to complete the stadium project.

But confusion remains over who finances some $20 million 'overlay' or temporary facilities.

Despite the tight timetable, Valcke said on the basis of talks with constructor Odebrecht he was confident of progress.

"I have full trust in Odebrecht to deliver on time for the opening game," said Valcke.

However, initial agreements for the host cities do not make Odebrecht responsible for the cost of the work but rather the owner, Corinthians club.

Valcke said come what may, with 75 days to go until the first match Sao Paulo would definitely stage the curtain-raiser.

"It will happen in Sao Paulo. There is no other choice. It was a decision we made with the LOC and government to keep these 12 cities whatever will be the challenges.

"It will happen in Sao Paulo -- there is no other choice" even if "we will maybe be a bit borderline."

Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
44% - 5846 votes
Cricket
11% - 1449 votes
Football
19% - 2465 votes
Athletics
2% - 303 votes
Boxing
1% - 123 votes
Cycling
2% - 302 votes
Golf
5% - 646 votes
Motorsport
8% - 1073 votes
Tennis
3% - 415 votes
Water sports
1% - 118 votes
American sports
1% - 128 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 378 votes
Vote