CONMEBOL to ask FIFA for extension to 2022 World Cup qualification delay

Qatar 2022
Qatar 2022

South American football's governing body CONMEBOL said on Thursday it will ask FIFA to delay the start of the region's qualification campaign for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The first two rounds of qualifying games due to begin later this month have already been postponed as all football leagues in South America have been shut down over the deadly virus.

CONMEBOL said in a statement it was taking "extreme precautions ... in line with the recommendations indicated by international authorities regarding public health."

The first two rounds were due to be played on 26-27 March and 31 March but FIFA previously granted CONMEBOL a postponement.

But with all South American countries under various degrees of lockdown as the coronavirus spread has started to accelerate in the region, CONMEBOL doesn't want to try rescheduling those games before the next round in September.

loading... Live
Aston Villa 0
Crystal Palace 0
loading... Live
England 204 & 313
West Indies 318 & 68/3 (24.5 ov, target 200)
Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
46% - 3938 votes
Cricket
11% - 960 votes
Football
18% - 1528 votes
Athletics
2% - 173 votes
Boxing
1% - 73 votes
Cycling
2% - 177 votes
Golf
5% - 432 votes
Motorsport
8% - 668 votes
Tennis
3% - 280 votes
Water sports
1% - 65 votes
American sports
1% - 65 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 224 votes
Vote