Absa Premiership

Blistering start ensures Sundowns win

Pitso Mosimane (Supplied)
Pitso Mosimane (Supplied)

Cape Town - Mamelodi Sundowns ran out 2-1 winners over Mpumalanga Black Aces in their Premiership clash at Lucas Moripe Stadium on Wednesday night.

Mamelodi Sundowns asserted their dominance over Mpumalanga Black Aces early on and took the lead after just five minutes from a quick counter-attacking move. Khama Billiat drove the ball down the right wing before crossing the ball for Mzikayise Mashaba, who made no mistake with a simple tap-in from close range.

The Brazilians were two up just three minutes later as Themba Zwane squared the ball for Hlompo Kekana, who did well to create space for himself before slotting a low drive past Jackson Mabokgwane from just outside the area.

The hosts could have been another goal up but Mashaba fired a shot wide in the 13th minute before he had the ball in the back of the net three minutes later, but it was ruled out for offside.

After the early torrent of pressure, Aces began to fight back into the game and Mukuka Mulenga forced Dennis Onyango into a diving save with a powerful long-range shot in the 29th minute.

The visitors continued to grow into the game, but were unable to turn their possession into a goal as Sundowns took a 2-0 lead into half time.

Sundowns goalkeeper Denis Onyango will have been grateful of Soumahoro Bangaly's intervention after the striker got in the way of Collins Mbesuma's blistering shot in the 59th minute to block it wide for a corner.

Aces continued to push for a way back into the game and Onyango was again called into action in the 76th minute when he pulled off a double save to deny first Mbesuma and then Aubrey Ngoma.

Mashaba came agonisingly close to securing the points for Sundowns in the 87th minute as he produced a bit of magic to burst into the Black Aces area but his shot cannoned back off the upright.

Aces pulled one back with literally the last touch of the game as Matsi headed a deflected cross past Onyango to make the score 2-1, but referee blew for full time immediately afterwards so a comeback was not possible and the Brazilians ran out 2-1 winners on the night.