Nkosikhona Dube says he was "shocked and devastated" to learn he had been cut from the Golden Arrows squad.
The 21-year-old striker was deemed surplus to requirements by the Premiership side, with his contract subsequently terminated.
Dube, who netted 20 goals last season for the club's DStv Diski Challenge side, leaves the club just six months after being promoted to the first team.
He told the Sowetan: "I am shocked and devastated. I can't lie. I was promoted at the start of the season. I immediately started to make the 18-man match-day squad...that gave me hope I was going to get game time.
"On Friday, out of the blue, the manager [Nonceba Madlala] called me to her office and told me I am no longer in the club's plans. She told me straight to my face that I have no future with Arrows and then she gave me my clearance.
"My contract was only expiring in June 2022, so I had high hopes of playing for the team that I grew up at."
- TEAMtalk media