Absa Premiership

Platinum Stars see off Polokwane

Goal (AFP)
Goal (AFP)

Cape Town - Platinum Stars extended their unbeaten run to four games after clinching a 3-0 victory over Polokwane City at Royal Bafokeng Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The first half was a one-sided affair, with Platinum Stars threatening to score through Eleazar Rodgers as early as the third minute.

Polokwane striker Thobani Mncwango had a glorious chance to fire his side ahead just one minute later, but shot wide of the right-hand upright.

Msomi failed to hit the target after wriggling clear of his marker in the seventh minute, but made amends in the 28th minute as he slotted home with a right-footed finish after latching onto a pass from Siyabonga Zulu.

The hosts kept up the pressure after claiming the lead, with Letladi Madubanya, Rodgers, Masibusane Zongo and Isaac Nhlapo all going to close to adding a second.

Rise and Shine got a rare chance on 40 minutes after winning a free-kick in a dangerous position, but Tshepo Tema was unable to direct his header on target from Jabu Maluleke's inviting cross.

There was one last chance for Stars on the stroke of half-time, though, as Polokwane keeper George Chigova did well to keep out Solomon Mathe's goal-bound effort.

Polokwane came flying out of the traps after the half-time break and made their intentions known early on as Mbongeni Mzimela was called into action to keep out Sipho Jembula's 47th-minute effort.

However, it was Platinum Stars who bagged the next goal, Segolela converting with a left-footed finish following some good work by Solomon Mathe in the build up.

Jembula had another chance to get his name on the scoresheet just after the hour mark, but saw his goal-bound effort saved by Mzimela in the Dikwena goal.

The result was eventually put beyond any doubt 15 minutes from time when substitute Ng'ambi slotted home after latching onto a pinpoint pass from Zongo. 

Rise and Shine had one more chance of note shortly after conceding the third, but Jabu Maluleke's shot, direct from a free-kick, was parried to safety by Chigova.