Absa Premiership

Tuks, FS Stars play to stalemate

Goal (AFP)
Goal (AFP)

Cape Town - Luyanda Bacela's second-half strike secured University of Pretoria a 1-1 draw against Free State Stars in the scorching heat at Goble Park on Sunday

After a slow start, the game burst to life in the 37th minute when Danny Venter opened the scoring for the hosts.

Bacela restored parity 10 minutes after half-time and neither side was able to find a winner as the pace of the game dropped dramatically again in the latter part of the second half.

It was clear right from the kickoff that the weather was going to have a significant impact on the match.

The pace was slow as neither team looked willing to risk expending too much energy early on and after 10 minutes, only two speculative shots had been mustered between the two clubs combined.

Free State definitely had the better of play early on, but were struggling with the final ball and were unable to created many dangerous opportunities.

However, Venter provided a stunning cross for Nhlanhla Vilakazi in the 13th minute, but the defender sent his shot disappointingly over the bar.

The first of two water breaks was called by the referee in the 24th minute so players could do their best to remain hydrated in the Bethlehem heat.

After a decent start, the host nearly gifted Tuks the lead on 27 minutes as Reuben Thebankang miscued his attempted clearance and it fell kindly for Lucky Mathosi on the edge of the box but he sent his shot sailing over the crossbar.

Venter broke the deadlock in the 37th minute with an accurate left-footed finish to give Ea Lla Koto a deserved lead on the balance of play.

However, the lead would not last long and 10 minutes after half-time the visitors were back on level terms after Getaneh Kebede linked up with Bacela, with the latter heading the ball into the back of the net.

After a good spell of play following the goal, Tuks nearly grabbed the lead through Kebede, but his shot was saved on the line by Daouda Diakite.

Free State had a flurry of chances late on and Paulos Masehe went close twice in the dying moments of the game but was unfortunately unable to convert.

Tensions began to run high towards the end of the match and AmaTuks goalkeeping coach Tendai Tanyanyiwa was ejected from the bench and technical area, but it would not change the outcome of the game and it ended 1-1.

Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
46% - 3413 votes
11% - 808 votes
18% - 1317 votes
2% - 143 votes
1% - 59 votes
2% - 154 votes
5% - 372 votes
7% - 533 votes
3% - 229 votes
Water sports
1% - 63 votes
American sports
1% - 57 votes
3% - 192 votes