Sundowns beat City to move into semis

Hlompho Kekana (Gallo Images)
Hlompho Kekana (Gallo Images)

Cape Town - Mamelodi Sundowns showed their class and pedigree as they overcame a spirited Cape Town City 2-1 in Sunday's Nedbank Cup quarter-final at the Cape Town Stadium.

As it happened: Cape Town City v Mamelodi Sundowns 

It was a tight opening 45 minutes although Gaston Sirino and Sibusiso Vilakazi both hit the woodwork for the away team.

After the break, Percy Tau got the first goal while Hlompho Kekana netted from distance. Bradley Ralani hit a consolation but the outfit from Pretoria were good enough to hang on to victory. 

It was the home side who made a bright start and could have gone ahead after five minutes as Roland Putsche fired wide from close range, following an enterprising move forward. 

The returning Khama Billiat was endeavoring to link up with fellow attackers Tau and Sirino in the opening 20 minutes, however, the Citizens were able to effectively break up their play. 

Nonetheless, Billiat and Sirino did combine just before the half-hour mark as the Bolivian was set free in space and he rattled the underside of the cross bar from around 12-yards out, with goalkeeper Sage Stephens easily beaten. 

The Brazilians were starting to stamp their class on the contest and the woodwork came to City's rescue just before the break, as Vilakazi saw his poked effort on goal crash off the upright from Tau's excellent cross.

After the interval, Tau broke the deadlock in the 54th minute with a clinical low strike from six yards out after being sent clear by the lively Billiat. 

Just after the hour mark the Brazilians took full control of the tie as Kekana added another spectacular long range strike to his resume. After picking the ball up in space from around 30 yards from goal, he sent a swerving thunderbolt beyond City's number one. 

Benni McCarthy's men showed good resolve and the impressive Ralani showed skill to score City's first in the 69th minute, though it appeared to take a slight deflection as it beat Denis Onyango at his near post.

Nonetheless, Downs were still having chances and in the 72nd minute Taariq Fielies had to be sharp to clear Tau's effort off the line.

The visitors were largely comfortable thereafter although Ayanda Patosi may have done better with a header at the far post in the closing stages.

Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
42% - 7803 votes
11% - 1965 votes
19% - 3573 votes
3% - 464 votes
1% - 170 votes
2% - 440 votes
5% - 914 votes
8% - 1541 votes
3% - 612 votes
Water sports
1% - 168 votes
American sports
1% - 217 votes
3% - 571 votes