Del Bosque wants to keep job

Madrid - Vicente del Bosque on Thursday confirmed his intention to stay on as coach of Spain, despite their disappointing performance at the World Cup in Brazil.

"I have been in contact with the Federation president (Angel Maria Villar) as well as the secretary general (Jorge Perez) and I think we are a stable Federation and the last six years as a whole have counted for more than the last two games that eliminated us from the World Cup," del Bosque said at a football school in his home city of Salamanca.

Of the Federation (RFEF), he added: "They valued my work and we are going to carry on as always."

Del Bosque's contract runs through to the end of the European Championship in France in 2016 and his announcement will end speculation that had been mounting since Spain were knocked out of the World Cup following back-to-back defeats against the Netherlands and Chile.

After Spain bowed out of the tournament in Brazil by beating Australia 3-0, he said: "We will look for the best decision for our football, with sense and without drama."

Del Bosque, 63, had previously led Spain to glory at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and at Euro 2012.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
42% - 9938 votes
Cricket
11% - 2665 votes
Football
19% - 4490 votes
Athletics
2% - 590 votes
Boxing
1% - 220 votes
Cycling
2% - 550 votes
Golf
5% - 1174 votes
Motorsport
8% - 1984 votes
Tennis
3% - 804 votes
Water sports
1% - 212 votes
American sports
1% - 295 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 761 votes
Vote