ATP Tour

Del Potro out of Brisbane

Juan Martin Del Potro (AFP)
Juan Martin Del Potro (AFP)

Sydney - Former US Open winner Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from the Brisbane International, officials said on Thursday, further delaying his return to the court from an injury-blighted 2014.

The Argentine had been scheduled to play in the January 4-11 Brisbane event, ahead of defending his title in the Sydney International from January 11-17 in the lead-up to the Australian Open.

But Brisbane International officials said del Potro "was forced to withdraw with a persistent left wrist injury".

After winning the US Open in 2009, Del Potro's career was hampered by surgery on his right wrist in 2010 before he fought his way back into the top 10 again.

Pain in his left wrist first flared up at the Australian Open last January.

He retired from his opening match in Dubai the following month and then withdrew from tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami, undergoing surgery in late March. He has not played since.

Del Potro's withdrawal from Brisbane follows that of 2014 US Open winner Marin Cilic who was forced to pull out earlier this week with a shoulder injury.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
41% - 12476 votes
Cricket
12% - 3724 votes
Football
19% - 5658 votes
Athletics
3% - 788 votes
Boxing
1% - 299 votes
Cycling
2% - 710 votes
Golf
5% - 1549 votes
Motorsport
8% - 2546 votes
Tennis
3% - 1055 votes
Water sports
1% - 274 votes
American sports
1% - 390 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 1016 votes
Vote