ATP Tour

ATP, WTA seasons suspended until early June

Roger Federer (PA/Supplied)
Roger Federer (PA/Supplied)

The ATP and WTA tennis competitions have extended the suspension of their seasons until 7 June due to the coronavirus pandemic, the two tour organisers announced on Wednesday.

"The professional tennis season is now suspended through 7 June 2020, including the ATP Challenger Tour and ITF (International Tennis Federation) World Tennis Tour," the ATP and WTA said in a joint statement.

At this time, tournaments taking place from 8 June 2020 onwards are still planning to go ahead as per the published schedule."

The announcement temporarily shuts down the men's and women's European clay court season a day after the French Open was pushed back to September.

It also further pushes back the restart to the tennis season as both tours were already shut down, with the ATP last week originally halting proceedings until 27 April and the WTA announcing no play until 2 May on Monday.

"In these challenging times, it is more important than ever for our sport to pull together to provide as much certainty as possible to all those affected by these postponements," said ITF president David Haggerty. 

"We recognise the huge impact this will have, but ultimately the health and safety of players, officials and spectators has to be our primary concern."

Events affected by the shut down include the combined ATP/WTA tournaments in Madrid and Rome, the WTA events in Strasbourg and Rabat and ATP events in Munich, Estoril, Geneva and Lyon. 

Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
44% - 5747 votes
Cricket
11% - 1428 votes
Football
19% - 2428 votes
Athletics
2% - 296 votes
Boxing
1% - 116 votes
Cycling
2% - 293 votes
Golf
5% - 636 votes
Motorsport
8% - 1038 votes
Tennis
3% - 406 votes
Water sports
1% - 114 votes
American sports
1% - 126 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 372 votes
Vote