ATP Tour

Injured Del Potro officially out of US Open

Juan Martin del Potro (AP)
Juan Martin del Potro (AP)

New York - Former champion Juan Martin del Potro, who had surgery in June to repair a broken right kneecap, won't be ready for the US Open, organisers said on Tuesday.

The US Tennis Association said the 2009 champion from Argentina - who was runner-up at Flushing Meadows in 2018 - will miss the tournament as he continues his recovery.

Del Potro shared a video of himself walking on a treadmill on July 31.

On June 21 he had said he would undergo surgery after breaking the patella in his right knee for the second time in nine months. At that time he said he didn't know if he'd played his last match.

So it's no surprise he won't be at Flushing Meadows; the USTA's announcement merely made it official.

Del Potro's withdrawal sent American Denis Kudla - who was previously announced as a wildcard - into the main draw. The USTA gave that wildcard to American Christopher Eubanks.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
40% - 13442 votes
Cricket
12% - 4107 votes
Football
19% - 6206 votes
Athletics
3% - 853 votes
Boxing
1% - 328 votes
Cycling
2% - 776 votes
Golf
5% - 1679 votes
Motorsport
8% - 2806 votes
Tennis
4% - 1169 votes
Water sports
1% - 304 votes
American sports
1% - 413 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 1113 votes
Vote