WTA Tour

Bartoli rules out comeback

accreditation
Marion Bartoli (AP)
Marion Bartoli (AP)

London - Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli will play the Liverpool grass-court exhibition event in June but insists she has no plans to make a full-time comeback to the sport.

The 29-year-old Frenchwoman, who was a shock champion at Wimbledon last year, quit the sport just a month after, blaming the toll the tour was taking.

Despite agreeing to sign up for the pre-Wimbledon exhibition event to be staged at Liverpool University from June 19-22, Bartoli said it would be a one-off appearance.

When asked about a full-time comeback, Bartoli told the British Press Association: "It's not going to happen."!

She added: "Tennis is still my passion but I have other passions and they take a lot of work and dedication. I'm going to be 30 years old later this year and my body is extremely tired.

"I never had a feeling of maybe I didn't make the right decision. I'm moving on with my life. When I think about my tennis career it brings me pure happiness and pride but I don't feel I'm missing out."

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
loading... Live
Maritzburg United 0
Marumo Gallants FC 0
Voting Booth
With the Springboks losing their last two matches against Australia, how concerned are you?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Very concerned! Something is not right ...
58% - 3105 votes
I'm not worried. Every team has a bad game. The Boks will bounce back.
18% - 934 votes
It's too early to tell. Let's see how they go against the All Blacks.
24% - 1270 votes
Vote