Proteas

Cricket SA prepares for Jacques Faul's exit, rejects resignation rumours

accreditation
Jacques Faul (Gallo Images)
Jacques Faul (Gallo Images)
  • Interim Cricket South Africa CEO Jacques Faul could vacate the post when his term expires on 15 September.
  • Rumours flying out of the governing body are that the interim boss has resigned but these were squashed by Faul and president Chris Nenzani.
  • CSA is in a race against time to announce findings relating to suspended CEO Thabang Moroe after receiving the first part of the forensic audit into cricket.

Acting Cricket South Africa (CSA) CEO Jacques Faul could leave his interim post when his current term ends in September, Sport24 understands.

Faul was asked to step in to fill the chief executive void following Thabang Moroe's suspension last December and has helped navigate the organisation through some seriously choppy waters in the seven months in charge.

He ensured that cricket survived the Covid-19 impact cancelled tours and tournaments, securing full wage payments during the period in the sport, and bringing a new tournament, 3 Team Cricket, which was well received.

However, Sport24 received an anonymous tip-off on Wednesday that Faul had resigned from his post and that staff would be informed of the fact on Thursday, with Faul to return to his role at Northerns Cricket on September 15.

But CSA president Chris Nenzani rebuffed those rumours, saying Faul's initial secondment agreement with the company had expired at the end of June and that there was a "month-to-month" term in place.

"Jacques has not resigned," he said.

"Remember, he's on a secondment agreement that we have with Northerns Cricket, which came to an end at the end of June. Now he's on a month-to-month arrangement.

"Eventually his term will expire and once it has he will return to Northerns. As of this point, we are working on this internally. He has definitely not resigned but we are preparing for his eventual exit.

"We're hoping to make an announcement once everything is in place. I can't confirm nor deny the 15 September date being his last day."

Faul also denied rumours of his resignation. His September departure, however, now means CSA is in a race against the clock to wrap up the disciplinary process against its suspended full-time CEO, Moroe.

Last week, the organisation sent out a statement saying its board received the first part of the forensic report into cricket's affairs and in relation to Moroe.

"Using this report as a point of departure the board has implemented a process that will provide finality to this unfortunate situation," CSA said in a statement.

Failure to reinstate Moroe or if the forensic report found adverse findings against him, CSA would need to again appoint an interim CEO to fill the position.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
loading... Live
South Africa A 249/7
India A 0
Voting Booth
What are your views on the World Rugby men's Player of the Year nominations for 2021 not including any Springboks?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It's a disgrace! Both Siya Kolisi AND Eben Etzebeth should have been nominated!
39% - 5583 votes
Siya, at the very least, should have been included after a superb season
7% - 937 votes
Etzebeth has been SA's best player this year and should feel hard done by
21% - 2911 votes
Get over it! Moaning about this just sounds like sour grapes!
34% - 4751 votes
Vote