Durban - Tatjana Schoenmaker claimed her second qualification time, while Christian Sadie posted his fourth IPC World Championships qualification time during the fourth day of the SA National Aquatic Championships in Durban on Thursday.
According to SuperSport.com, there was plenty of action in the 100m breaststroke as Schoenmaker clocked her second Fina qualification time of the competition in 1:06.83, just under a second from the required 1:07.43, while Kaylene Corbett and Rebecca Meder ended second and third in 1:09.03 and 1:10.06, respectively.
Dune Coetzee raced to the 400m freestyle title in a fast 4:14.27, over eight seconds ahead of Christin Mundell in 4:22.83 and Kiara Noades in 4:27.27, while on the men's side, it was Brent Szurdoki that grabbed the gold medal in 3:51.96, followed by Botswana's James Freeman in 3:53.18 and Josh Dannhauser in 3:53.30.
Christopher Reid was only 0.17secs short of a FINA qualification time in the 100m backstroke when he touched the wall in a golden 54.23 ahead of Zane Waddell in 54.60 and Martin Binedell in 56.08, while Mariella Venter walked away with the gold medal in the women's race in 1:01.87 ahead of Nathania van Niekerk in 1:02.10 and Olivia Nel in 1:03.63.
In the 100m breaststroke, the gold medal was claimed by Michael Houlie in 1:00.44 to Alaric Basson's 1:02.15 and Brenden Crawford's 1:02.64.
KZN's Abi and Rebecca Meder, Erin Gallagher and Kristin Bellingan won the 4x200m freestyle relay in 8:26.80 ahead of the Western Cape's Aimee Canny, Georgia Nel, Trinity Hearne and Carli Antonopoulos in 8:30.01 and Tshwane's Kiara Noades, Janie Coetzer, Stephanie Houtman and Lindsay McLeod in 8:40.04. The men's relay gold medals went to KZN's Dannhauser, Matthew Bosch, Dayne Odendaal and Josh Stegen in 7:32.25.
Western Cape's Sadie (SM7) posted his fourth IPC qualification time in the 200m individual medley, clocking 2:38.09 to the required time of 2:59.29, while Johann van Heerden came second in 2:28.50, just 2.46secs over the required 2:26.04.
19-year-old Michaela Kretzen (SM14) was once again on top, this time in the 200m individual medley in 3:07.97 with the remaining gold medals going to Alani Ferreira (SM13) in 2:47.84 and Mark Roach (SM15) in 2:17.96.
The SA National Aquatic Championships conclude tomorrow with the heats session starting at 9:30am, while the finals will begin at 5pm.
Qualifying times - FINA World Championships - Day 4:
• Chad le Clos - 200m butterfly - 1:56.21
• Chad le Clos - 100m butterfly - 51.39
• Erin Gallagher - 100m freestyle - 54.34
• Erin Gallagher - 100m butterfly - 57.67
• Tatjana Schoenmaker - 200m breaststroke - 2:24.44
• Tatjana Schoenmaker - 100m breaststroke - 1:06.83
• Kaylene Corbett - 200m breaststroke - 2:25.62
• Nathania van Niekerk - 200m backstroke - 2:11.37
• Christopher Reid - 200m backstroke - 1:57.11
• Ayrton Sweeney - 400m individual medley - 4:17.67
• Ryan Coetzee - 100m butterfly - 51.85 (heats)
Qualifying Times - IPC World Championships – Day 04:
• Franco Smit (S12) - 100m Backstroke - 1:05.25
• Franco Smit (S12) - 50m Freestyle - 25.06
• Alani Ferreira (S13) - 100m Butterfly - 1:21.13
• Alani Ferreira (SB13) - 100m Breaststroke - 1:25.88
• Christian Sadie (S7) - 50m Freestyle - 29.06
• Christian Sadie (S7) - 50m Butterfly - 30.37
• Christian Sadie (SM7) - 200m individual medley - 2:38.09
• Christian Sadie (SB7) - 100m Breaststroke - 1:27.34 (heats)
• Hendri Herbst (S11) - 50m Freestyle - 28.87
• Johann van Heerden (SB9) - 100m Breaststroke - 1:12.30
• Cornelle Leach (SB12) - 100m Breaststroke - 1:34.22
• Hendrik van der Merwe (SB5) - 100m Breaststroke - 1:44.64