- On Tuesday, World Rugby announced the cancellation of the popular Dubai and Cape Town Sevens tournaments.
- These two tournaments would have been the first two legs of the popular World Sevens Series
- Due to the coronavirus pandemic, World Rugby decided to cancel the events, however, they will return in 2021.
World Rugby announced on Tuesday that the popular Dubai and Cape Town Sevens, the opening legs of the 2020/21 World Sevens Series, had been cancelled as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
Brett Gosper, the chief executive officer of World Rugby said although his organisation were disappointed that the decision had to be taken to cancel the tournaments, it was done with the health and well-being of the global rugby community in mind.
World Rugby, its partners, SA Rugby and the Dubai organisers undertook a comprehensive consultation process and constructive dialogue to reach the decision to cancel the events.
"While we share in the disappointment of players, teams, fans, hosts and everyone involved with the popular events in Dubai and Cape Town, this is a prudent decision taken with the health and well-being of the global rugby community and wider society as our top priority and guided by the relevant government and international public health authority advice," said Gosper in a statement released to the media.
Gosper confirmed, however, that both tournaments would return in 2021.
"We look forward to welcoming these wonderful destinations back to the series following this year’s hiatus," said Gosper.
The event at Cape Town Stadium was provisionally scheduled for 4-6 December.