Barcelona unveil new signing Andre Gomes

Barcelona logo (File)
Barcelona logo (File)

Barcelona, July 27, 2016 (AFP) -Barcelona paraded Portuguese midfielder Andre Gomes at the Camp Nou on Wednesday after his €55 million capture from Valencia on a five-year deal.

The 22-year-old, part of Portugal's European Championship-winning side, has a release clause of €100 million and will cost an initial €35 million euros, with €20 million in add-ons.

Gomes, who agreed the move last week, said he chose the Spanish champions because he felt it gave him the best chance to progress as a player.

"Every club has its own personality. The one that suits me the best is Barcelona," the player said, adding that he had rebuffed other offers to move to other clubs.

Gomes made 77 appearances for Valencia in two seasons after joining from Portuguese side Benfica.

He was also believed to be a target of Barcelona's bitter rivals Real Madrid.

Gomes is Barcelona's fourth summer capture, after they re-signed Denis Suarez from Villarreal and snapped up defenders Samuel Umtiti from Lyon and Lucas Digne from PSG.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
42% - 9821 votes
Cricket
11% - 2623 votes
Football
19% - 4443 votes
Athletics
2% - 574 votes
Boxing
1% - 214 votes
Cycling
2% - 545 votes
Golf
5% - 1162 votes
Motorsport
8% - 1959 votes
Tennis
3% - 789 votes
Water sports
1% - 210 votes
American sports
1% - 293 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 748 votes
Vote