Brazilian hospitalised with coronavirus in China football 'first'

accreditation
Football staff wearing a mask for coronavirus outbreak (Getty Images)
Football staff wearing a mask for coronavirus outbreak (Getty Images)

Hopes that the postponed Chinese football season could start as early as April took a hit Wednesday after a Brazilian tested positive for the coronavirus, reportedly a first in Chinese football.

A 30-year-old Brazilian player living in the southern city of Meizhou is in hospital in nearby Guangzhou, health authorities said.

They did not name him but Chinese media said it was the Meizhou Hakka striker Dorielton, and that he is the first reported case in elite Chinese football.

His condition is unknown. Meizhou Hakka are in China League One, the second tier of Chinese football.

The player landed at Guangzhou airport from Bangkok on Monday and was taken to hospital, health officials said.

The Oriental Sports Daily said that the whole Meizhou squad is now in quarantine and that the new season could now be delayed further.

All football in China, where the coronavirus emerged in December, is indefinitely suspended because of the pandemic.

There had been suggestions that the top-tier Chinese Super League could begin next month. It was originally scheduled to start on February 22.

Dorielton began his itinerant career at Brazilian giants Fluminense but has spent much of his career in Chinese football.

Meizhou Hakka are yet to comment. 

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What are your views on the World Rugby men's Player of the Year nominations for 2021 not including any Springboks?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It's a disgrace! Both Siya Kolisi AND Eben Etzebeth should have been nominated!
39% - 6438 votes
Siya, at the very least, should have been included after a superb season
6% - 1020 votes
Etzebeth has been SA's best player this year and should feel hard done by
21% - 3496 votes
Get over it! Moaning about this just sounds like sour grapes!
33% - 5487 votes
Vote