No presidential award at Ballon d'Or gala

FIFA logo
FIFA logo

Zurich - FIFA will not give the presidential award traditionally chosen by Sepp Blatter at the Ballon d'Or gala on Monday due to fallout from its corruption crisis.

FIFA says the award is on hold for one year "due to the transitional phase which FIFA is currently in."

Blatter was banned from football for eight years by the FIFA ethics committee last month. He was replaced in October on an interim basis by senior vice president Issa Hayatou.

Blatter first made the personal award at FIFA's annual awards in 2001.

Previous recipients include Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Queen Rania of Jordan, and Franz Beckenbauer, who is under an ethics investigation.

FIFA says Hayatou will make the formal opening speech at the ceremony.

Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
42% - 7628 votes
Cricket
11% - 1933 votes
Football
19% - 3480 votes
Athletics
3% - 455 votes
Boxing
1% - 163 votes
Cycling
2% - 435 votes
Golf
5% - 890 votes
Motorsport
8% - 1509 votes
Tennis
3% - 601 votes
Water sports
1% - 164 votes
American sports
1% - 211 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 557 votes
Vote