Redundancy looms for players at crisis-hit second-tier Malaga

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Soccer (Photo by Dimitri Iundt/Corbis/VCG via Getty Images)
Soccer (Photo by Dimitri Iundt/Corbis/VCG via Getty Images)

Second-division Spanish club Malaga on Monday launched a procedure that means its professional players face redundancy in a bid to lead the club out of severe financial troubles worsened by the coronavirus pandemic.

"As of today, the management of Malaga Club de Futbol, S.A.D, has communicated to the squad of professional footballers its intention to begin a collective dismissal procedure," the club said in a statement.

Malaga said they had been forced "to make some tough decisions in recent months".

"On this occasion, the restructuring will directly impact the men's first team," it said.

"This new restructuring joins the economic plan that aims to get the club out of the complicated financial situation which it continues to be immersed in, in spite of recent efforts."

Malaga said they had been "obliged to take this step", expressing hope that ticket holders and fans "understand and support this new effort, the sole objective of which is to create an acceptable and competitive structure with which to return the lost excitement to Malaga Club de Futbol".

According to Spanish press reports, a dozen or so players must accept salary cuts of between 80-90% or leave the club.

Two of them, David Lomban and captain Adrian Gonzalez, have already started negotiations, according to newspaper Marca.

Malaga finished the season in 14th spot, on 53 points, in the Segunda, with 11 victories, 20 draws and 11 losses from 42 games played.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What are your views on the World Rugby men's Player of the Year nominations for 2021 not including any Springboks?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It's a disgrace! Both Siya Kolisi AND Eben Etzebeth should have been nominated!
39% - 5400 votes
Siya, at the very least, should have been included after a superb season
7% - 929 votes
Etzebeth has been SA's best player this year and should feel hard done by
20% - 2760 votes
Get over it! Moaning about this just sounds like sour grapes!
34% - 4612 votes
Vote