UEFA abandons attempt to hold under-19 finals

UEFA
UEFA
PA/Supplied

UEFA has given up on holding its under-19 championships in Northern Ireland and cancelled the tournament, which had already been postponed several times.

The governing body of European football issued a statement, dated Tuesday evening, which said that the decision was "due to the current unresolved epidemiological situation in Europe and resulting travelling difficulties."

The under-19 Euros were originally scheduled for Northern Ireland at the end of July 2020, with a final on August 1, but were postponed first to November and then to March next year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The tournament was also a qualifier for the under-20 World Cup, scheduled for Indonesia starting on May 20, 2021.

UEFA announced that it had selected its five top-ranked under-19 teams, France, England, Italy, the Netherlands and Portugal, as its entrants. Spain, who won the last under-19 Euros in 2019, miss out.

UEFA also said it had decided to postpone a plan to restructure the competition into three tiers, like the Nations League, and will run the 2021/22 under-19 competition in the traditional format.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
41% - 11448 votes
Cricket
12% - 3307 votes
Football
19% - 5163 votes
Athletics
3% - 695 votes
Boxing
1% - 270 votes
Cycling
2% - 642 votes
Golf
5% - 1414 votes
Motorsport
8% - 2341 votes
Tennis
3% - 926 votes
Water sports
1% - 247 votes
American sports
1% - 336 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 903 votes
Vote