Strong second half helps Chippa share the spoils with CT City

play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Jan Olde Riekerink (Gallo Images)
Jan Olde Riekerink (Gallo Images)

Chippa United mounted a rousing second-half comeback to secure a 1-1 draw against Cape Town City at Cape Town Stadium on Saturday evening.

The hosts went into the half-time break with a narrow lead thanks to Mduduzi Mdantsane, but Chippa finally found their shooting boots after the break as Augustine Kwem rifled the ball home from close range.

The opening 10-minute spell failed to produce any noteworthy chances as both sides looked somewhat cagey, giving away plenty of free-kicks.

However, the match sprang to life in the 16th minute when Tashreeq Morris went down in the Chippa area appealing for a penalty, only for the referee to wave play in.

The Citizens, sensing a potential breakthrough, continued to press forward, going close through Ferederic Nsabiyumva just one minute later, while at the opposite end of the pitch, City goalkeeper Peter Leeuwenburgh produced a superb save to deny Chippa winger Ramasimong Maloisane what looked to be a certain goal.

That Leeuwenburgh save proved to be crucial as the Citizens went on to claim the lead in the 22nd minute, Mdantsane latching onto a pass from Craig Martin before slotting the ball into the bottom-left corner.

Chippa had a great chance to level matters just three minutes later but Ramasimong's effort lacked power and was easily snapped up by Leeuwenburgh.

They kept prodding and probing the City defence as the half wore on but failed to really test Leeuwenburgh until the first minute of injury time.

However, Leeuwenburgh was again alert to the danger, making a routine save to keep his side's slender lead intact heading into the break.

Chippa came out of their half-time team talk fired up after failing to make their chances count in the first half, and they quickly took control of proceedings.

It didn't take them long to fashion an equaliser as Nigerian forward Augustine Kwem sent a powerful shot into the top-right corner from close range.

And Chippa didn't take their foot off the gas as they continued to pile forward with urgency.

They created two excellent chances in the minutes that followed the equaliser, but Ramasimong fired just wide from a free-kick, before Ryan Rae sent a headed effort narrowly wide of the mark.

Chippa really should have claimed the lead in the 68th minute but City were let off the hook as Isaac Nhlapo's header from the centre of the box was denied by the crossbar.

The Citizens briefly threatened to snatch the lead against the run of play a few minutes later but Morris' header was saved by goalkeeper Veli Mothwa.

But with just under 20 minutes remaining in the clash, the goal scoring chances quickly dried up.

Both coaches opted to bring on fresh legs for the final push, but it had no impact on the final scoreline as the two sides were forced to settle for a share of the spoils.

- TEAMtalk media

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Sat 23 Jan 21 15:00 PM (SAST)
Mamelodi Sundowns
Lucas Masterpieces Moripe Stadium
Sat 23 Jan 21 15:30 PM (SAST)
TS Galaxy
Bloemfontein Celtic
Mbombela Stadium
Sat 23 Jan 21 15:30 PM (SAST)
Black Leopards
Chippa United
Thohoyandou Stadium
Wed 20 Jan 21
Black Leopards 0
Cape Town City 2
Wed 20 Jan 21
Maritzburg United 0
TS Galaxy 3
Wed 20 Jan 21
Orlando Pirates 0
Golden Arrows 0
1. Mamelodi Sundowns
2. Swallows
3. SuperSport United
4. Golden Arrows