Seeded eighth for this week's Aegon Championships, Anderson withdrew from the event at the Queens Club, in London, without as much as hitting a ball.
"With Wimbledon coming up in 10 days time, it was more of a precautionary measure than anything else," Anderson's agent, Stuart Duguid, said on Saturday.
"I'm pretty sure Kevin will be okay for the big Grand Slam event.
"In fact, he is considering seeking a wild card to play in one of the pre-Wimbledon tournaments next week for some valuable match practice on a grass surface."
However, while Anderson's prospects of competing at the Grand Slam tournament looked bright in spite of the shoulder injury, his withdrawal from the Queens tournament could affect his best-ever world ranking of 23rd, which he achieved this week after reaching the last 16 stage at Roland Garros.
Anderson reached the quarterfinals at Queens last year, and missing this week's tournament will cost him a substantial tally of points, possibly causing him to slip back a couple of places.
"While Kevin could have taken a chance and played at Queens, we weighed up the pros and cons and decided it was more important to make Wimbledon the priority instead of securing points at Queens," Duguid said.
Anderson will be the only South African accepted into the main draw of the men's singles at the blue riband event of world tennis, which starts on June 24.
Veteran Davis Cup stalwart Rik De Voest is among the players aiming to gain a place in the main draw via the qualifying rounds.