ATP Tour

Federer withdraws from Paris Masters

accreditation
Roger Federer (Getty)
Roger Federer (Getty)

Paris - World No 3 Roger Federer announced on Monday that he was withdrawing from this week's Paris Masters in order to "pace" himself for the next year. 

"I am extremely disappointed to have to pull out of the Paris Masters," he said in a statement.  

"I have to pace myself since I want to play as long as possible on the ATP Tour. 

"I am sorry for my French fans who I will see next year at Roland Garros."

Tournament director Guy Forget said he was "disappointed" with Federer's late decision to withdraw.

The 38-year-old Federer warned on Sunday after winning his 10th Basel title that he may skip the trip to Paris.

"My fitness is fine, I'm happy with how I feel," he said. 

"I just don't know if I should play next week. I'll figure it out with the team."

Federer returned to the Paris Masters last year for the first time since 2015 and reached the semi-finals where he lost a three-set semi-final thriller to Novak Djokovic, who is top seed ahead of Rafael Nadal in the French capital this year.

Federer will be replaced by a lucky loser in the main draw. 

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
With the Springboks losing their last two matches against Australia, how concerned are you?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Very concerned! Something is not right ...
58% - 3183 votes
I'm not worried. Every team has a bad game. The Boks will bounce back.
18% - 955 votes
It's too early to tell. Let's see how they go against the All Blacks.
24% - 1306 votes
Vote