ATP Tour

Injured Del Potro officially out of US Open

Juan Martin del Potro (AP)
Juan Martin del Potro (AP)

New York - Former champion Juan Martin del Potro, who had surgery in June to repair a broken right kneecap, won't be ready for the US Open, organisers said on Tuesday.

The US Tennis Association said the 2009 champion from Argentina - who was runner-up at Flushing Meadows in 2018 - will miss the tournament as he continues his recovery.

Del Potro shared a video of himself walking on a treadmill on July 31.

On June 21 he had said he would undergo surgery after breaking the patella in his right knee for the second time in nine months. At that time he said he didn't know if he'd played his last match.

So it's no surprise he won't be at Flushing Meadows; the USTA's announcement merely made it official.

Del Potro's withdrawal sent American Denis Kudla - who was previously announced as a wildcard - into the main draw. The USTA gave that wildcard to American Christopher Eubanks.

Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
44% - 5792 votes
Cricket
11% - 1440 votes
Football
19% - 2441 votes
Athletics
2% - 299 votes
Boxing
1% - 120 votes
Cycling
2% - 298 votes
Golf
5% - 640 votes
Motorsport
8% - 1052 votes
Tennis
3% - 410 votes
Water sports
1% - 116 votes
American sports
1% - 126 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 376 votes
Vote