Montreal - Reigning champion Andy Murray, fresh from capturing his second Wimbledon title earlier this month, has withdrawn from next week's Toronto Masters, Tennis Canada announced Monday.
Briton Murray, the world number two, said his body simply needs more rest after his grass-court championship run.
"My body needs some recovery time after reaching the latter stages of tournaments over the past few months," Murray said.
"I'm sorry to my fans in Toronto but I look forward to being back in Canada next year."
The three-time Toronto winner, who also won Grand Slam titles in 2012 at the US Open and 2013 at Wimbledon, had not missed the event since his 2006 debut.
"Certainly we are disappointed," tournament director Karl Hale said. "Andy is one of the very top players in the world and a fan favourite. He will be missed but we wish him continued success."