ATP Tour

Nadal ready for 'difficult' recovery from foot injury

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a forehand against Jannik Sinner of Italy in the French Open quarter finals at Roland Garros in Paris on 6 October 2020.
Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a forehand against Jannik Sinner of Italy in the French Open quarter finals at Roland Garros in Paris on 6 October 2020.
Photo by TPN/Getty Images

Rafael Nadal admitted on Wednesday he faces a "difficult" and "painful" recovery from the foot injury that forced the 20-time Grand Slam champion to miss Wimbledon, the Olympics and the US Open.

Nadal ended his season in August due to injury and has said his foot is still a "little sore" in a presentation of a documentary about his tennis academy.

The 35-year-old said he is "looking forward to improving and facing a process that will be difficult in some ways and painful in others but that I have to go through to fight for what I want again."

Nadal published a photo of himself on Instagram on Saturday holding crutches with his left foot bandaged.

He announced he had been in Barcelona "to receive treatment on my foot that will require a few days rest and a few weeks off the court."

After playing his last match of the year in Washington at the start of August, when he lost to South African Lloyd Harris, Nadal then pulled out of Wimbledon, Tokyo 2020 and the US Open.

The Spaniard holds the joint record for Grand Slam victories in the men's game, tied on 20 with both Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic, who lost in the US Open final on Sunday to Daniil Medvedev.

"Over the years, things get more and more complicated because you have to be realistic, time doesn't stop for anyone, but I am still excited," Nadal concluded in the presentation of the documentary, which premieres worldwide on Friday.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Should Proteas star Quinton de Kock continue playing at the T20 World Cup even if he doesn't take the knee in support of the fight against racism?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes! He should be allowed to show his support any way he chooses
38% - 1672 votes
No! If De Kock refuses to unite with his teammates, then he should be on the next plane home
12% - 544 votes
The only ones at fault here are Cricket SA, who have sabotaged another Proteas World Cup
50% - 2175 votes
Vote