ATP Tour

Swiss star Federer withdraws from Rogers Cup

Roger Federer (AP)
Roger Federer (AP)

Los Angeles - Eight-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer has pulled out of next month's ATP Rogers Cup tournament in Toronto due to scheduling concerns.

The 36-year-old Federer said he needs to be prudent about how many tournaments he plays in a season.

"I'm so disappointed not to play at the Rogers Cup this summer," said world number two Federer.

"I had a fantastic time in Montreal last year and always enjoy playing in front of the Canadian fans.

"But unfortunately with scheduling being the key to my longevity moving forward, I have regrettably decided to withdraw from Toronto this year."

Jeremy Chardy of France will take Federer's place in the main draw.

Organizers said the event, which takes place August 4-12 at Toronto's York University, will feature 19 of the top 20 players in the world including reigning Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic and world number one Rafael Nadal.

"It's unfortunate that we won't have Roger in Toronto this summer," said tournament spokesman Karl Hale.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
loading... Live
Australia 246/6
India 302/5
Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
42% - 10173 votes
Cricket
11% - 2737 votes
Football
19% - 4604 votes
Athletics
2% - 604 votes
Boxing
1% - 230 votes
Cycling
2% - 560 votes
Golf
5% - 1207 votes
Motorsport
8% - 2022 votes
Tennis
3% - 822 votes
Water sports
1% - 216 votes
American sports
1% - 301 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 783 votes
Vote