Former champion Stan Wawrinka confirms he's skipping US Open

play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Stan Wawrinka
Stan Wawrinka
PA/Supplied

Former champion Stan Wawrinka confirmed on Friday that he will not play the US Open citing "the health situation in New York" as the Grand Slam event took another hit.

Wawrinka, the US Open winner in 2016, was already missing from the entry list along with four-time champion Rafael Nadal.

Now, the 35-year-old will instead focus on Roland Garros where he won his second career major in 2015.

"There is the health situation which is particular in New York. I did not want to go the US under these conditions," the world No 17, also the 2014 Australian Open champion, told RTS in Switzerland.

Players at the US Open, which starts on 31 August, will be subject to tight health controls to avoid the spread of the coronavirus.

It will also be played behind closed doors.

"And the sequence of tournaments which follows after the US Open will be tough," he added, referring to the Italian Open which starts a week after the conclusion of the New York event.

Roland Garros, delayed from May-June, will then start in Paris on 27 September.

"Finally, there are all the uncertainties related to the quarantine issue. There are still many questions and doubts about the holding of the US Open."

Earlier on Friday, top 10 women's players Elina Svitolina and Kiki Bertens said they were skipping the US Open.

World No 1 Ashleigh Barty has also opted not to play.

loading... Live
Newcastle United 0
Brighton and Hove Albion 2
Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
42% - 7620 votes
Cricket
11% - 1932 votes
Football
19% - 3479 votes
Athletics
3% - 453 votes
Boxing
1% - 163 votes
Cycling
2% - 433 votes
Golf
5% - 889 votes
Motorsport
8% - 1507 votes
Tennis
3% - 601 votes
Water sports
1% - 163 votes
American sports
1% - 211 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 557 votes
Vote