Safarova announces 'Bucie' comeback for Wimbledon

accreditation
Lucie Safarova (Getty Images)
Lucie Safarova (Getty Images)

Prague - Czech doubles specialist Lucie Safarova said on Saturday her "Bucie" team with American Bethanie Mattek-Sands would return to the sport at Wimbledon following a break due to a string of injuries and illnesses.

"Team Bucie will be back in Wimbledon," the 31-year-old Safarova said on her website.

The pair have yet to win Wimbledon to complete a career Grand Slam after dominating the Australian Open and the French Open in 2015 and 2017 and the US Open in 2016.

They did not have the opportunity at last year's edition of the tournament as Mattek-Sands suffered a serious knee injury in a second-round singles rubber there which sidelined her for months.

Mattek-Sands, who is 33, was the world number one in doubles and Safarova was the number two at that time, but they have since slid to 108th and 27th, respectively.

They were supposed to come back at Indian Wells in March, but Safarova had to skip the tournament because of an illness.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
After the opening weekend of URC action, what did you make of the South African struggles?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It exposed the quality of South African rugby...
38% - 2098 votes
There were positives to take
7% - 367 votes
We shouldn't read too much into one weekend
16% - 920 votes
It will take the SA sides time to adjust to the new competition
39% - 2193 votes
Vote